Monday, December 31, 2012

Lime Creek



I don’t remember why I bought this book, but I expect it was a strong positive review that appeared in something I read. It could have been because it takes place in Wyoming and there is a lot in the novel about horses and ranching. I also like the simplicity of the title, even the author’s name. Just Joe Henry.
The front cover has a blurb from Larry McMurtry calling it “a wonderful book”. I won’t disagree with that, but I might have used a different adjective. The cover also says fiction, not novel, and I think fiction is a clearer description. Because as I read the short book (142 pages), I had the feeling that I was reading a memoir, not a novel.
If you like plot-driven novels, this might not be the one for you. This book is driven by characters, words and a sense of place. Weather, scenery and man’s struggle with nature are all major characters in this work.
There are a lot of long sentences here (think a ¾ page-long paragraph without a period). Though this seems to be the norm for literary fiction, I find shorter sentences easier to follow. 
Joe Henry, however, has a gift for putting the right words in the right place and pulling his readers into the minds of his characters and putting us right there in a Wyoming winter as a couple raises three sons.
I had already determined after reading the first few pages that I was going to use the word lyrical if I wrote a review of this book before I read the author’s bio.  Joe Henry is a renowned lyricist whose words have been performed by the likes of Frank Sinatra, Garth Brooks, and Rascal Flatts.
He is also a poet who dedicates this book to Roscoe Lee Browne, renowned actor and former track star, and Anthony Zerbe. Both actors have performed Joe’s poetry. 
Joe is a former professional athlete with an excellent education, but attributes much of his learning to his years as a laborer and rancher. That learning is on display in this book. It’s gritty and very believable. And there’s a nice love story.
Another Review for Go Down Looking by Kelli:
This book had my attention after the first two sentences and held it to the end. The characters are easy to identify with...I cared about each of them and looked forward to reading about their experiences and adventures. Jake's trials and tribulations were especially captivating. 
He dealt with many setbacks and faced difficult decisions...I found myself cheering him on with every page. I could not put the book down.
 
I often hear people from that generation talk of it being a simpler time...but Jake's story shows us that, while the obstacles were different, growing up back then was not easy and life could be challenging.
Thanks for writing and sharing this wonderful book, Jim. I look forward to joining Jake and his family in the next chapter of their lives!

2 comments:

Doc Turner said...

Jim, I have enjoyed your blogs all year long. I like your review of Lime Creek. I was an early reader for the pre-release program with Amazon. There is a review written by our mutual friend, Jack Aubrey. He seems to share your appreciation for the book. I have spent time with my twin granddaughters, 11 months old, and taught them to say Granddad, my daughter and her husband...what is that guy's name...I saw my sister, son, DIL, and parents. I have been out on the bay three times, been bass fishing and deer hunting. I had two students this semester who know some Comanche. We would try to stump each other translating some word or phrase, and have kept it up on the internet. Sure has helped me expand my limited vocabulary.
Tsuh uku tomopuu (Good New Year),
Tuuwekaoh (Raven, aka Doc)

Jim Ainsworth said...

Always good to hear from you, Doc.